Emergency home repair funds available

Financial assistance is available to eligible families in Mecosta and Osceola counties for emergency home repairs through the Mecosta/Osceola County Housing Commission.

Big Rapids Housing Commission assistant director Linda Miller said the funding comes from previous loans to homeowners through a Community Development Block Grant that have been repaid to the housing commission.

“Basically, we are just recycling the money each year,” Miller said. “Both counties have money available right now that must be used by June 30 or returned to the state.”

Miller said the Big Rapids Housing Commission currently has over $50,000 available for use on emergency home repairs.

Osceola County Administrator Tim Ladd told the county board of commissioners during its meeting Tuesday, March 7, that the housing commission currently has around $57,000 available for emergency home repairs to qualified applicants.

“This is aimed at residents that have the principal residency exemption and a (taxable) value of less than $64,700,” Ladd said. “It is for emergency repairs that they may need on their home. It can be a roof that is leaking, electrical issues that can be a hazard, broken windows. If they need a new well or septic tank. There is money available for those types of things if they meet the qualifications.”

The funding is available on a first come-first qualified basis. To qualify, homeowners must own and have lived in the home for at least one year and must be up to date on their taxes and insurance. Additionally, they must meet income limits based on household numbers.

Qualifying homeowners must complete an application and contact the Mecosta/Osceola Emergency Repair Program to set up an appointment. 

Necessary documentation for the appointment includes the following:

  • Property deed
  • Proof of up to date homeowner’s insurance
  • Mortgage statement reflecting the current balance
  • Most recent Federal Income Tax Return
  • Proof of current income
  • Identification and Social Security cards.
  • For repairs costing over $2,500, a zero-interest lien is placed on the property, which is due in full when the property is sold or otherwise disposed of, Miller said.

In Osceola County, residents interested in applying for assistance may contact the county administrator’s office at 231-832-6196.

In Mecosta County applications are available by contacting the Big Rapids Housing Commission at 231-796-8689, or email: [email protected].